[DeTomaso] 160 degree thermostat vs 180 degree thermostat

Michael Cox coxmichaelt at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:37:32 EDT 2015

Mike said:
>Yes, the NASCAR guys run at the highest temps they can withstand to get the
> nth degree of added power--240-250 degrees is not uncommon....
>
> Mike

While I'm sure they do get slightly more HP with increased temps, I think
the
biggest benefit is more down force. They can tape up the nose for better
aero and improve front end down force. The radiator opening for NASCAR
cars is probably half or less of a Pantera.

I believe NASCAR limited the water pressure (26 pounds??) to keep the
teams from going crazy. I also believe it was the Ford engine builder Yates
that figured out how to make it work for 500 miles first.

   --michael cox