[DeTomaso] NPC: Help on Queueing theory wanted

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:12:47 EDT 2015

Hi All

Perhaps the record for the least Pantera content ever? College was a
somewhat long time ago, and I took a couple of Statistics courses. one of
them had a heavy content of queueing theory, which I particularly liked.
Finding mathematical models to try to represent daily occurrences such as
lines at the grocery store or traffic jams was pretty neat I thought.

I've long since forgotten all the formulas, but I remember a concept that I
am trying to find information but without success. I've googled a moderate
amount and apparently can't come up with the correct description to find
what I need.

I need a graph that shows the relationship between Capacity Utilization and
Waiting Time.

I remember the concept that, oversimplifying a bunch, average waiting time
remains basically statistically zero until the utilization of the resource
reaches a certain threshold, when it starts to rise, and then above another
point it increases exponentially. I'm looking for that graph. Looking at a
practical example, we have three cash registers. They are idle 80% of the
time, and customers arrive at random intervals. The probability of having
more than 3 customers arrive at the same time is pretty remote, so the
average wait is zero. But if each cashier is occupied 50% of the time, then
the probability of finding an idle cashier with random arrivals is less, and
the average wait time begins to increase. At a certain saturation, the
probability of finding an idle cashier is basically zero, and if cashiers
are 100% saturated, then the length of the wait depends on cycle time and
arrival time, but it will be substantial.

Can anyone point me to a graph, with references, showing the average wait
time compared to % utilization of the resource? Thanks all!