[DeTomaso] ZF oil choice

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sun May 17 16:25:56 EDT 2015

Redline 75W-90 NS is still a GL-5 gear oil. It does not have limited slip
additives but it does have the additives that make it a GL-5, which could
make it potentially corrosive in a ZF. I understand Les Gray says it's
"great" but what effect would it have if used over a long period of time?

The two best GL-4 gear oils that I know of are: Redline Synthetic MT-90
(75W-90) and Brad Penn (formerly Kendall) "Classic" Gear Oil (80W-90,
mineral based).

You may notice our Pantera owner's manuals specify GL-5 gear oil; however,
I've always thought whoever wrote the manual made a mistake. It's also
possible DeTomaso's oil sponsor, Agip, did not have a suitable GL-4 at the
time. To this day, Lloyd Butfoy still recommends the use of GL-4 gear oil.