[DeTomaso] Steering rack follies (and a warning...)

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 00:53:25 EDT 2015

Last time the rack discussion came up I seem to recall a recommendation to use 00 weight grease instead of oil.

Julian

Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 23:49:18 -0400
To: MikeLDrew at aol.com; sjcarguy60 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Steering rack follies (and a warning...)
From: detomaso at poca.com
CC: detomaso at POCA.com

The rack on my 1995 BMW uses grease.

I think that is how most racks are lubed and the failure rate is low.

Your car's rack might have been rebuilt rather than just replacing the bushing at the far end, which is what most people do.  So its probably a good thing.