[DeTomaso] New Detomasos to be built in China

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu May 14 03:15:51 EDT 2015

If I remember correctly, there was never any problema with using the
DeTomaso name or logo until a few years ago, when the official DeTomaso
name changed hands. The then-new owner (maybe it was Qvale?) went after the
US vendors for using their name without authorization, threatened them with
lawsuits, etc.

After a certain amount of negotiation, they reached an agreement allowing
the US vendors to continue using the name without paying any sort of
royalty, assuming they differentiated between "Classic" DeTomasos and "New"
DeTomasos. I think that shortly after reaching this agreement, the name
changed hands again and the whole issue went away, since nobody has really
been "protecting" their copyright or name since.

I don't know if Wilkinson actually paid for the name, was given rights to
use the name, or if simply the issue died a quiet death