[DeTomaso] Steering rack follies (and a warning...)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 13 13:09:27 EDT 2015

In a message dated 5/12/15 22 33 50, sjcarguy60 at yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks for sharing this information.  The '74 I just bought came with a
> stack of receipts from "Panteras by Wilkinson" in Southern California. One
> of the receipts from 2005 lists a rebuilt steering rack.  The receipt does
> not show the mileage but based on other receipts around the same time I
> estimate the mileage at about 15,000 at the time.
>
>>>That seems absurdly low to rebuild the steering rack?   They don't
normally start showing wear until 30K or more.   I suppose there is no harm in
performing a lifetime fix before it *needs* to be fixed though.

> > The car now has about 24,000 miles.  When I was under the car I did
> notice the boots still look clean and new with no sign of leaking.
>
>>>Which either means they are working as designed (they often do), or all
the oil has leaked out already, or the rack has been rebuilt using grease
instead of oil.

> >The car tracks straight without any wondering and I haven't noticed any
> noise. Is there any way to tell if it was properly done aside from waiting
> to see if it fails?
>
>>>Short of taking it apart, no, not really?   I've never heard of a rack
failure from Wilkinson so I would sleep pretty soundly if I were you.

> > I take it that the boots should be packed with grease rather than oil?

that need to be lubricated.   Whether one uses oil or lightweight moly grease
is a matter for debate; what's positive is that if oil is used and the oil
has leaked out, that's a bad thing. :<(