[DeTomaso] Bonked my L-bumper

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 11 15:43:30 EDT 2015

In a message dated 5/8/15 10 30 36, audionut at hushmail.com writes:

> Tapped a Beemer last week when my right boot snagged on the back of
> the brake pedal when taking it off the throttle to brake at a red
> light.  Anybody here know of someone who straightens these duckbills
> out?  It is not too badly damaged, only a slight push-in at the center
> and the associated warp-y inner ridge. Also, this might be a good time
> to convert to the bumperettes, which I have always liked.  Has anybody
> done this conversion?  Thanks-- John, #5909 ---------------- Note To
> Self:  Do NOT wear cowboy boots when driving your Pantera.
>

>>>A few thoughts....

1)   The main reason for crowding in the footwell is that the kick panel to
the right of the throttle pedal intrudes on the pedal area, forcing your
foot too far over to the left.   Simply using a sheetmetal screw with a fender
washer, and screwing the center of that panel to the chassis behind it,
will free up an additional inch or two of room.   If your panel is touching
your pedal, or close to it, that's your problem, and there's no need to savage
the brake pedal to fix it.

2)   A good body shop might be able to fix your bumper if it's not too
badly damaged.   Bill Taylor has a great how-to on the subject on the
PanteraPlace website if you have a mind to do it yourself.

3)   New bumpers have been available at extremely high prices (north of
$1000) since forever.   Last time I was in Italy visiting De Tomaso, I spotted
a sad-looking pile of brand new NOS front bumpers, carefully bubble-wrapped
and then left to sit in the rain for months/years.   Some were exposed but
others were on the bottom of the pile and presumably were still in perfect
shape (see attached).   It's my understanding that Wilkinson has since bought
these along with just about every other Pantera part that wasn't nailed
down, and the laws of supply and demand would suggest that the super-high asking
price should now be a thing of the past.   So you might want to contact him
and see what he thinks one of these is worth today?   Could be the easy
solution is to just buy a new one?