[DeTomaso] cool...well maybe

Rick rwgushue at verizon.net
Tue Mar 31 02:02:41 EDT 2015

    I thought years ago an additive was added to all antifreeze to make it
   taste nasty so nothing would drink it ??
   Rick
   1582

   On 03/30/15, thomas<thomas at hax.se> wrote:

   I have been using propylene glycol for years, both in the cars and the
   solar collector setup.
   I use about 1/3 glycol, which works well with the temps we see.
   [1]Larry at ohiotimecorp.com>:

   > Because of its sweet flavor and aroma, thousands of wild animals,
   pets
   > and children are poisoned by drinking automotive antifreeze/coolant
   > every year. Its particularly nasty ingredient is ethylene glycol,
   which
   > affects the central nervous system, heart and kidneys to the point
   that
   > it can ultimately prove lethal. Now, however, scientists from
   > Colorado-based ACTA Technology, Inc. have replaced the ethylene
   glycol
   > with another compound that's not only safe, but that also improves
   the
   > performance of the antifreeze.
   >
   > Led by ACTA founder Prof. Edward V. Clancy, the researchers looked to
   > propylene glycol as the substitute. It's safe to consume, and is
   > already used to absorb moisture and stabilize mixtures in foods such
   as
   > frostings and artificial sweeteners. It's also utilized in coolant
   for
   > industrial machinery, in settings where poisonous substances are an
   > absolute no-no (such as food-processing facilities).
   >
   > Because of its thick consistency, however, propylene glycol in its
   pure
   > form wouldn't work well in cars. It wouldn't be as efficient a
   coolant
   > as the runnier ethylene glycol, so much more of it would be needed to
   > have the same effect.
   >
   > In order to get around that problem, the scientists thinned it with
   > water and they added pyrogenic metal oxide nanoparticles. Not only
   > should the resulting liquid still be safe to consume, but it's also
   60
   > percent more efficient than traditional antifreeze at transferring
   > heat. That boost in performance is mainly due to the increased
   surface
   > area offered by the particles.
   >
   > "Because ACTA's patented propylene glycol/water mixture with our
   > additive increases the heat transfer of the flow systems, vehicle
   > manufacturers could make these systems smaller," said Clancy. "A
   > smaller radiator would result in a lighter car, thereby increasing
   fuel
   > economy and cutting emissions."
   >
   > ACTA plans on first marketing the product to the food processing
   > industry, as vehicle manufacturers would have to redesign their
   cooling
   > systems in order to accommodate it. It's expected to be available
   > within one year.
   >
   > Source: [1]American Chemical Society
   >

   > Larry (just the messenger) - Cleveland
   >
   > References
   >
   > 1.
   [2]https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2015/march
   /food-additive-could-serve-as-a-safer-more-environmentally-friendly-ant
   ifreeze.html

   > !DSPAM:55197e9b183071374015390!
   use the links above.