[DeTomaso] Oil Pressure gauge- more info

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 18:23:41 EDT 2015

Second data point: 351-Cs have TWO possible oil pressure sources. The factory point for Panteras is at the back of the block in the valley between cylinders. It is at the extreme end of the whole oil circuit, far away from the oil pump.

The other possible point is slightly to the rear of the fuel pump mount and that point is at the very front of the oil circuit, very near the oil pump. This is similar to the measuring point for 351-W engines.  The difference between the two on a Cleveland can be as much as 40 psi due to the factory place experiencing pressure leaks from all 16 lifters, all 5 main bearings and all 8 rod bearings plus the 5 cam bearings and other drilllings at #1 cam bearing. So if you have any gauge or sender hooked in one place and your friends have it hooked in the other, your data will not match theirs and will confuse tuning efforts for both.

Third point: to sell an aftermarket pressure gauge in the U.S, even a $6 cheapie from chain auto parts stores must be at least 2% accuracy or say it is not 2% accurate. Apparently those gauges supplied as-built into a car do not need to have any accuracy at all.  My el-cheapo mechanical gauge from who-knows-what country is now 20 years old and still works fine.