[DeTomaso] Fluttering Amp Gage

Marshall Smith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 29 19:53:55 EDT 2015

My ammeter needle jumped for 15 years until I added a shunt across the connectors behind the amp gauge. Now it's still and calm and probably easier on the gauge. Talk to Jack about the proper material to use for the shunt.

The Veglia ammeter has no damping for the needle movement. The Ford voltage
regulator charges the battery with pulses of current. The pulses of
charging  current cause the undamped ammeter needle to get quite vigorous.

See http://www.panteraplace.com/page178.htm for  a description of the guts
of the ammeter.

I know of no real solution to this problem with a stock ammeter and
regulator. As the ammeter ages the pivot for the needle becomes worn and the
needle will sure jump about.

The main  thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what  your have where you are.
Have fun today!
SOBill

In a message dated 3/29/2015 1:56:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,