[DeTomaso] Seat Slides

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 25 17:17:49 EDT 2015

I rebuilt a Pantera for someone awhile back- one of the 52 desperately needed reworks was to remount the Hall Pantera shoulder harness bar. This is a 3/8 steel bar that mounts to the original shoulder harness bolts behind your neck. Odd zinc-plated bolt heads holding the bar, so I touched one-- and it unscrewed with my fingers. It was a grade-3 lag-bolt used with expandable lead anchors to hold machinery to concrete floors! Apparently whoever botched this didn't realize the stock metric threads are very deep-set. Digging the lead anchors out of the holes and cold-bending the big bar to fit this particular car, the threads were fine and two stock bolts held torque. And in this car, the aftermarket seats were only held in with the front bolts.  Test-driving someone else's modified car is always an eye-opener!  Talk about 'unsafe at any speed'....