[DeTomaso] Engine compartment finish

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 17:19:23 EDT 2015

Hey Lynn,
Go with the bed-liner.  It approximates the original appearance, but it much more attractive with a slight sheen, is more durable, and isn't one more surface to polish and wax.  And, you won't fret about climbing into the engine compartment to do any service work.
I smoothed my engine compartment and then shot it with a POR15 truck bed liner kit.  I shot it at 100 psi for a fine pebbling of the finish instead of the 35 psi the instructions recommended.  You can see pics as you scroll down this page:http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/adventures.htm
I'll take a pic of the completed engine compartment and send it to you tonight.
As far as the holes, those going through the inner fender help provide access to the header collector bolts or the suspension I believe.  The holes at the back on the sides of the engine compartment I've seen filled on many cars because they just seem to create an opportunity for water to enter the frame rails, however I left all factory holes in place. Although I did rust-proof and coat my inner frame rails.

Cheers!Garth