[DeTomaso] Stock Starter Options

Mike Reilly reillyms at live.com
Sun Mar 22 13:01:58 EDT 2015

Hi all.  My stock starter is working but makes some noise on engagement.  I pulled it and and noticed some “milling” wear on the starter teeth (milling as described in the Panteras manual).  I researched the forum archives and see some folks going to the vendors for a starter and other hitting other sources.  I see starters on vendor sites hitting up to $380 and then some 164 teeth Ford 351 manual transmission starters on ebay for around $100 (including hi torque).   Any advise on these?  Seems I should be able to hit Napa or other local shops for a stock replacement.  I do like supporting the vendors but not sure on the price difference and value.  My motor is bone stock and the stock starter had worked fine for 40 years : )   Thanks, Mike