[DeTomaso] Radiator problems

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Mar 17 21:32:15 EDT 2015

Nancy,
Where in Idaho, do you live?  (City)
You can email me directly if you wish.  I'm in Spokane.  I've replaced
my radiator at least three times, as well as worked on all the
suspension components, rebuilt an engine or two and a few other things
in, on or around a Pantera.

The first thing to do is decide on a replacement radiator.  I'm guessing
what you have is a stock brass radiator, which probably can be repaired
but might be better to just get a new one.  The Pantera vendors carry
many different styles, from stock to all-out aluminum with pre-mounted
fan and shroud assemblies.  Prices will range from expensive to really
expensive.

Once you have a replacement in hand, it's a matter of draining radiator
fluids, unhooking hoses, and taking out the old radiator (which is
probably really heavy).

This might be a good time to replace the rubber radiator hoses.

It's not a difficult job, but it -is- time consuming.  I can do the job
in just over an hour if I'm really on top of it.

But back to where you live.  Depending on where in Idaho, it might be
easier than you think.
:)

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired