[DeTomaso] Most recent newsletter - rain picture on the back cover

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 18:22:42 EDT 2015

Ha!  I'm published!  Actually, my wife is.  I told her to take that picture en route to dinner and hors d'oeuvres with fellow PCNC folks (and POCA President John Buckman and his lovely wife) following the Ironstone Concours in Murphy's, California last September.  We had a caravan of Panteras driving through gold country in pouring rain, but it was coming down so hard you can't tell those are Panteras on the road ahead of us.

On the way to Ironstrone on Friday night before the show, we got caught in a record-setting torrential downpour, without wipers.  We got off the freeway in Tracy and got some wiper blades at an O'Reilly Auto Parts. I got thoroughly soaked putting them on in the rain and looked like I had just jumped into a swimming pool when I climbed back into the car. Being soaking wet, I immediately fogged up the windows - did I mention I hadn't hooked up the heater (or defroster) yet?  My wife was having a little anxiety as we took off with fogged up windows and me wiping the inside of the windshield with a rag. I told her we just needed to get back onto the highway and lower the windows a couple inches to get some air swirling through the interior to clear the windshield - again, she wasn't too thrilled. But, once we were East of Manteca the drive became very enjoyable - the rain stopped, no traffic, deserted country 2-lane roads the rest of the way, and an incredible lightning show in the mountains ahead of us.  The show on Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day with a great showing of top notch cars, but then the rains returned after the show.
Anyway, we all had a great time and will definitely return next September.
Cheers!Garth
#4033 - The Banzai Runner Pantera