[DeTomaso] Wilwood, Brembo brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 10 12:31:59 EDT 2015

In a message dated 3/10/15 2 31 4, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> I have to differ with you with regard to 6 piston Wilwood calipers,
>
> I have been running 6 piston calipers on the front of 1661 for years.
> I think I installed them back in 2000 or so. They are SuperLites, I think.
>
> With 15” wheels.
>
> Yes, I have 18” wheels now for the street, but 15” Gottis or Bassetts fit
> just fine.
>

>>>Ah, but you're not fully disclosing here.   You don't have standard
15-inch Campagnolo wheels on your car.   It's flared and wears GT5-sized wheels.
  Have you ever tried fitting a stock wheel (either 7 or 8 inch) on the
front of your car?   I suspect it wouldn't fit.   If it did, it would only fit
because your calipers are old.

It certainly wouldn't fit with the type of Wilwood calipers they sell now.
 The old-school Wilwood castings were nice and rounded, and provided plenty
of clearance for smaller wheels.   The new ones are much more box-shaped,
unfortunately.   In fact, I have had four-piston Wilwood Superlites on my car
since the early 1990s.   When I attempted to fit new four-piston Wilwood
Superlites in the front, they wouldn't fit initially due to the changed
architecture of the calipers, and new brackets let them fit, but just barely.

And none of the currently-produced six-piston calipers would even come
close to fitting....