[DeTomaso] Wilwood, Brembo brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 22:42:48 EDT 2015

In a message dated 3/6/15 13 16 27, patrickhals at gmail.com writes:

> I'd like to improve the brakes on my street Pantera.
> I will drive either with standard 15 " wheels, or may be 17 or more "...
> Not sure yet.
>
>>>Well, it makes a BIG difference.

> >I'd like to have 6 pistons in the front, and 4 in the rear.
>
>>>First of all, you simply can't fit any 6-piston calipers on the front of
a Pantera with 15-inch wheels.   Just won't fit.   So you need to decide
what kind of wheels you're going to run, OR be conservative and just get a
system that will work with either.

Why do you think you want six-piston calipers?   I can assure you that
there is NO measurable benefit over a quality four-piston caliper.   In fact,
they use exactly the same brake pads!

I thought like you at first, and attempted to fit six-piston calipers on
the front of my Pantera.   They simply would not fit.   Instead, I was able to
fit extremely high-quality four-piston calipers with different-sized
pistons, which are arguably better than the six-piston offerings.

> >Is there a direct fit for a Pantera with Wilwood brakes ? In 15 ? In 17
> or
> more ?
> That is : disks, hats, calipers, master cylinder ( if it needs to be
> changed ??? ) ... and so on.
>
>>>Yes.   All the Pantera vendors sell kits that will bolt straight up to
your car.   Back in the good old days, all the available kits worked with
15-inch wheels; now none of them do!   They all discontinued their 'old' kits
and went for systems with larger rotors, bigger calipers etc. which force you
to use 17-inch wheels.

Note that these systems offer no superior braking performance (at least not
with street tires).   It's all about style and fashion.

Scott at SACC Restorations was eager to work with me to develop a system
for use with my 8/10-inch Campagnolo wheels.  In the process, he learned a lot
himself.   His caliper brackets spaced the calipers too far away from the
center line of the spindle, and he had to make custom brackets just for me.
Having said that, I think he could now replicate that for you as well.

I have 12.19 x 1.25 inch vented rotors and four-piston Wilwoods on all four
corners now, and my brakes work great (well, my brake booster started
leaking but that's another story).

> >If there isn't , where can I buy the parts to adapt the non DT system to
> Pantera ? What are the Wilwood references ?  .
> What about old Porsche "Brembo" brakes ( from 928 S4, 996, Turbo, .... )
> that should prove to be excellent ?
> Thank you !
>
>>>A handful of people have adapted Porsche Brembo calipers to their
Panteras.   They require custom brackets, and also will not work with 15-inch
wheels.   So if you want to go that route, you have to do much of it yourself
(Pat Mical offers a kit I think) and are committed to aftermarket wheels.