[DeTomaso] Help Needed! Installing ZF Today and Stuck

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 17:20:57 EST 2015

Mike, on getting the ZF in, I had the same issue and just rotated both halfshaft plates the same direction a tiny bit with the ZF in gear to rotate the teeth on the input shaft.  It eventually slipped right in.

'Couple things to consider.  How old are the idler bushing and clutch throwout bearing?  I would make a lot of sense to replace both of those while you have the ZF out.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the clutch and inspect the clutch disc, pressure plate and fly wheel as well.  Don't want to have it back together for 100 miles and have to pull the box when one of those decides they're done.

Just my .02.  Good luck

Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest
Yellow ’74 #6328