[DeTomaso] Help Needed! Installing ZF Today and Stuck

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:08:57 EST 2015

BTW, before I had an alignment tool, I would get it close visually, and
then I would have someone press the clutch while I aligned the input shaft
with the pilot bushing.  The splines go on the clutch pretty easy.  It¹s
the pilot bushing that is a pain.  With the clutch depressed, the disk is
free to move around, so it¹s pretty easy to ³find² the pilot bushing.

Later, I bought a plastic alignment tool - without splines, and it was
worthless.

Later, I used an input shaft from a dead transmission.  I don¹t remember
where I got it - from a transmission shop, I think.  This was the absolute
best alignment tool.

Later, I used a plastic alignment tool with splines.  It was pretty good.
I still have that one.

Mike - I read that you didn¹t remove the clutch.  I didn¹t miss that part.