[DeTomaso] Help Needed! Installing ZF Today and Stuck

Mike Reilly reillyms at live.com
Sat Mar 7 15:48:25 EST 2015

Hi all.  I just had my ZF safety wired and now I’m installing it.  All is well except the shaft (with teeth see pic) from the ZF will not align to go into the opening (to accept the teeth) in the engine (center of clutch and flywheel).  I did some trial and error to get them to align but no luck.   I assume the ZF should slip in once these teeth are aligned.  I have the engine mount bolts loose enough so the engine is tilted and it aligns nicely to the case coming in.  I just get stopped by the teeth from the ZF entering into the motor.  This is my first time doing this….is there some trick to avoid constant trail and error by slightly rotating the ZF shaft and trying over and over?   Thanks, Mike