[DeTomaso] Asa Jay, Thanks for taking care of the list

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Mar 7 09:18:17 EST 2015

All,
It was nearly 20 years ago when Shane Ingate had the idea of using the
new medium called The Internet to bring together Pantera owners.  I,
along with about 20 or so others became founding subscribers of The
DeTomaso email forum.  In those early days, the administrator (I forget
if it was Shane or Andy), would send out a list with who posted and how
many posting they had.

The list was great in the early days.  It helped a lot of people
understand some of the quirks found in the Pantera and what to do about
them.  It helped people understand the difference between a pre-L and
and L, and a GT5-S for example.  Repeated questions were met with
repeated answers and not snide comments like "go look in the archives."
It was open, pleasant and I thought really helped further the image and
exposure of both the DeTomaso company and the Pantera.

This list was not meant for political or religious discourse.  Generally
there are many topics people have learned to stay away from among
acquaintances and this email list should be treated no differently.

Because the list has been unmoderated for so long, many little things
have been allowed through.  Sometimes some nasty things get said and in
most cases, the people realize what the did and apologies usually
follow.  We have some great people here, we have some honorable people
here and we have some that we might consider to be a bit less, but as so
many have pointed out in the past, can't we look past some of our
personal differences to the things that matter in the context of owning
a Pantera.

It's fun to argue about the best color for a Pantera (white), or which
bumpers are better (L), but when conversations devolve into political
infighting and profane (or near profane) bickering and sniping, it puts
a foul taste in everyone's mouth.

When Andy Poling approached the POCA Board with the idea of hosting this
email list on the POCA server because he was no longer interested, there
was only one agreement; the list still had to be open and available to
anyone regardless of being a POCA member.  This he felt (and most did
to) this would keep the discussion about Pantera's alive and well
regardless if someone wanted to be a POCA member or not.

The POCA Board agreed to that and I've been the person who did all the
work to transfer it from Andy's old server to the POCA server.  I'm the
one who rebuilt the email list after the POCA Server was hacked two
years ago (and if anyone noticed, most of the POCA web site last
August).  Since then, it's been a pretty simple job.

Unfortunately, this last incident has caused me to put myself into a
position of moderating some things.  I never thought we'd need to do
that, but it's come to that.  I'd be more than happy to let someone else
take over the administration of the list; they just need to know how
the  GNU Mailman software works, how it works on a Linux system and how
a Linux system works.  I know there are qualified folks reading this.

But I do want to remind you, this is not like the PI Forum or any other
on-line forum.  This is email and it is stored and re-sent differently.
Once you post it, it's public; it's already been delivered to all the
subscribers mail boxes.  It's stored in semi-cryptic files on the
server; it's not "threaded."  It takes a large amount of effort to try
and remove individual posts, much less "threads."  So please be aware of
what you write, it -will- become published history.

And one last tid bit.  Please do NOT re-post private emails.  This pulls
an argument into the public domain which is in all honestly not really
fair to the person who sent the private email, and it can like this
time, stir things even worse for both parties.  Please don't act on the
urge to justify yourself in public when you really need to respond in
private.

Let's please keep things on-topic.

Thank you for reading this far.
Asa  Jay

That has worked pretty well for a while.

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA
http://www.racingagainstautism.com