[DeTomaso] Glass Pack Mufflers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 21:34:03 EST 2015

In a message dated 3/4/15 17 04 51, tonydigi at optonline.net writes:

> So, what, exactly, is packed in a glass pack muffler, and where do I get
> some?
>

>>>Glass-pack mufflers are the most simple, crude kind of muffler there is.
  They consist of an outer body, and an inner core of perforated tubing.
The core is wrapped with fiberglass matting and then inserted into the outer
body.

Traditional automotive glass-pack mufflers (such as Cherry Bomb)

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Exhaust/Cherry-Bomb-Glass-Pack-Muffler

are cheap, and disposable.   They cannot be serviced, and in a relatively
short amount of time, the fiberglass packing material breaks down and the
muffler becomes nothing more than a swollen-looking straight pipe, with
comparatively little noise attenuation.

Dirt bikes and quads rely on this same technology, except for some reason
most of them come with mufflers that are designed to be serviced.   People
seem to think that muffler packing only lasts 40-50 hours or so, and repacking
dirt bike mufflers is a common thing.   Aftermarket street bike mufflers
are supposedly good for 7000-10000 miles.   Thus, you can go to any motorcycle
dealership or accessories store and find fiberglass muffler packing
material for sale.

Here is a link with several representative products of the type:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Exhaust%20Packing

Note that most motorcycle muffler repacking kits lack sufficient material
to pack an automotive muffler, which is much larger, so you would have to buy
several packages.

Fiberglass packing material is cheap and basically disposable, making it
not particularly well-suited for use in an automotive muffler that is welded
together.   When I gutted my ANSA GTS muffler cans, replacing the complex and
restrictive series of baffles and perforated tubing with a simple Y-shaped
perforated tube, I chose to use stainless steel muffler packing material,
which is substantially more expensive and has much greater longevity.   I got
mine from Howe Racing, a major supplier for Trans-Am and circle-track
racing.   It's not shown, but instead is referenced at the bottom of this page:

https://www.howeracing.com/p-7693-2-into-1.aspx

After spending the big bucks buying from this source, I thought about it
and decided I probably hadn't bought enough.   I then went on Amazon and found
this:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-Racing-Stainless-005-10038S/dp/B000WKFNY6
/

So I bought some of that too.   I wound up using everything I had.   The
results were quite good--my gutted exhausts are no louder than the stock setup
even though they flow measurably better.

Here is another source I just found:

http://steelwooldirect.com/muffler-packing/

So, I have to ask, what prompts this question?   I'm interested in your
project, whatever it might be?