[DeTomaso] Transaxle drain plug

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sat Jun 27 19:11:32 EDT 2015

Dennis at Pantera Perf rebuilt the transaxle in 5332 while I was going
through the car.  I had him put in a set of 0.62 gears for 5th.  Now that we
are driving the car I can definitely say this is the way to go - 2300 rpm at
70 mph, 19 mpg on a recent trip with average around 80 mph.  No lack of
torque (engine dyno'd at 400 foot pounds).  But, on deceleration there is a
definite whine to the new gear set.  Initially much more than in 4th, but
seems to be quieting down.

So, given something is smoothing out I decided to switch out the dif fluid.
Tried to find the GL4 Pennzoil that Dennis recommended - got the impression
they have discontinued in favor of the same oil in a GL5.  So, went with
Redline 75W90 in a GL4.  Had to order online - this morning I figured I'd
tackle the job.

First order of business stopped me cold.  A 17 mm socket plug for a drain.
And me with no 17 mm allen wrench.  So, off to Sears - they list one for $9
and change.  Get there and they have said 17 mm "hex key" on sale for $4.74.
I suspect they have decided to quit stocking them - so if you need one - run
down to Sears.

With new allen wrench out comes the plug, and the oil.  All looks good - a
bit of very fine iron fuzz on the magnet in the plug - hopefully nothing out
of the ordinary.

Fill her up and one job done.

Also had been noticing some sling from the inboard CV joints.  Dennis didn't
think one needed to use silicone on the flanges - well, if you buy a set -
don't use silicone - just get gaskets - would make life sooooo much easier.
NTL, I popped them apart, cleaned, silicone, and put the bolts back.  Now
how to torque bolts with 5/8 inch heads to the required 58 foot pounds.
Last time I just bore down on them and figured good enough.  This time my
eye caught my new 17 mm allen wrench.  And the wrench I was using on the
bolts - a Snap-on box/box - 5/8 on one end, 11/16 on the other.  Well, 11/16
is pretty close to 17 mm.  Close enough that I was comfortable that the
allen wrench would not spin in the 11/16 box.  I set up the wrenches and my
Torque wrench as shown in the attached.

With the 9 inch extension from the box/box wrench the required torque on the
torque wrench drops to 33 pounds (21 inch lever arm).  WORKED SLICK!

Neat when an "on sale" item solves several problems!

With 1,500 miles on 5332 I can definitely say I am happy with the results of
the rebuild.  We are in the midst of a heat-snap and seeing 90's and above -
the a/c blows cold, the car pulls strong, steering is not as light as the
Elise or the XKE, but is still a pleasure.  I am loving driving her!

Stephen Nelson