[DeTomaso] Photo session

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Fri Jun 26 19:21:08 EDT 2015

Charles,
   Thank you for your letter, it was refreshing.
Yes, it is our lucky obligation to provide present day happiness, future car dreams, true information and goal setting to the younger set. We are very lucky to be able to babysit the beauties during our life.

In late Dec of 71, the manager of the Modena, Italy distributor of Ferrari allowed me, a 16 year old coon-ass hillbilly to sit in
some of the new cars, a 365GTC, Dino and a Daytona in a not so clean storage warehouse where the new cars were held for prep prior to going to customers and dealers.  Of course no pictures were allowed.
I almost lost my mind when I looked through a doorway and saw 3 Ferrari formula cars on trailers.

   The next morning, mom took me to Maserati Factory five or so blocks away. We waited at the guard gate for the cool and elegant export boss, he enjoyed my mother's beauty, poise and intelligence and of course my over excited car DNA aura, he knew he had to go out of his way and help/please/educate us. He did!
 Even though it was the Wednesday halfway between Christmas and New Years, some workers were there pouring
aluminum castings for all the Ghiblis and Boras into lost wax sand process molds.
Looked like a happy Dante's Inferno!
We went from the casting pour section to possible the third Bora, blue ?, being test driven out the back door.

We listened to Bora's redlining exhaust bellow until third gear midrange through the morning fog.

We then walked the six or so blocks back to the pensione hotel and I heard car and wrench noises.
I looked through a crack in some large wooded beat up double doors and saw strange low cars with workers beating and shaping metal for the bodies.
I now think I was looking at the famous Italian car builders shop, Medardo Fantuzzi. Who built the deTomaso P70 designed
by Peter Brock and other cars for Bizzarrini and others.
Who knows what I was looking at, IT DID NOT MATTER.

I WAS BIT AND HARD! HEAVEN COULD ONLY BE SO NICE.
That was all the drug a 16 yr old male needed to have. All my 1971 friends were busy smoking dope and looking for a
Stairway to Heaven while I thought I was already there.
The drug has not worn off in 43 years and if anything is now getting stronger. Talk about delayed response medication.

Last Sunday, I showed my Mangusta at EyesOnDesign in Grosse Point Park, MI.

A 10 yr old boy went nuts over the car while dad and mom were shooting pictures left and right.
I asked them if they wanted the door open so he could stand inward, duh?, then I decided just to tell him top get into the car and I fired it up. Parents went happy crazy and luckily the boy did not pee on my seat with his Home Alone Eye ball look.
His happiness was better than anything I had seen in a while.  It jumpstarted my spirits to a new level.
So cool that it fired up my own memories.
I then gave the parents and boy my card so they could call me for whatever I can help them with on his perpetual car journey.

Nice way to live.
Take care guys, see ya'll at Concorso.

Jeff Cobb