[DeTomaso] Rear accessory engine bay brace

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Mon Jun 22 10:02:04 EDT 2015

Dear Guys,

                Full disclosure.

                 I have two Panteras.   Pantera One has the bigger
engine and brakes and the separate lower accessory engine bay brace for
about twenty years.   The other Pantera has less HP and brakes and the
stock rear engine bay brace.   They both have Koni suspensions with
bigger spring rates plus poly bushings and seventeen inch wheels and fat
tires.

                  After the second run from Oklahoma out to Phoenix, I
noticed that the paint on Pantera Two seemed to be cracking more than
Pantera One.  (more full disclosure the paint on Two dates to 1988 and
the paint on One dates to about 2004).   It was my opinion that the
cracks on Two were possibly due to its weaker bracing with all the mods
it has.

                  I would like to have the triangulated cross braced
rear brace, but I haven't seen one in years.   Given my less frequent
attendance at track events and my sub 500 hp engines, I think that the
modest independent lower rear accessory brace should be all that I need.

                  Right now I am in the process of removing the
drivetrain and decided that once it is out, then I can have the lower
brace welded in properly without the ZF in the way.   I also decided to
get the brace now so that I can place it properly *above* the top of the
ZF while it is in situ and avoid that unpleasantness of a properly
welded brace that is ever so slightly sits low enough to contact the
ZF.....

                                 Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles