[DeTomaso] FW: NPC Probably not new to you aeroheads but wow-

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Wed Jun 17 16:30:41 EDT 2015

Something else,

The aluminum aircraft have a certain amount of protection when around
lightning. There are wire strips which trail the wings which dissipate the
static. Often a composite aircraft which is going to be in weather has to
have structure to handle the lightning. I am not sure if it is just
imbedded in the material. I know without it damage can be far worse.

Some aluminum aircraft I flew which did not have enough static wicks would
grow balls of green electricity at the base of the windshield in heavy
rain; the beginning of St Elmos Fire.

Quite often too, composite and wood aircraft have to have transponders if
they want to be seen by radar.