[DeTomaso] FW: NPC Probably not new to you aeroheads but wow-

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 16:21:31 EDT 2015

In a message dated 6/17/15 13 05 11, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> Usually the propeller.
>

>>>...although for perverse reasons, light aircraft never, ever have
mufflers on the exhaust system.   I think this is incredibly stupid.   Yes, 80
years ago mufflers may have compromised performance, but now we know enough
about exhaust design that it's possible to fit effective mufflers that have
hardly any negative effect, if at all.   I think it's simply ancestor worship
that prevents the airplane community from embracing them--that and perhaps
FAA intransigence and fear of change.

That said, many propellers spin so fast that the tips are exceeding the
speed of sound and thus generating tiny sonic booms on a continual basis, and
no muffler in the world will overcome that!

And yes, prop planes are ridiculously loud inside, which is why everyone
aboard has to wear heavy-duty industrial ear protection.   Come to think of
it, the headset manufacturers might have a hand in keeping airplanes loud too!