[DeTomaso] FW: NPC Probably not new to you aeroheads but wow-

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 15:26:45 EDT 2015

In a message dated 6/17/15 11 33 50, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> Ironically one of the problem with composites is repair. When you run
> something like carbon fiber in a solid line from wing tip to wing tip, if
> you punch it with an ice pick you have compromised the strength of the
> entire string.
>

>>>...and I think that's something that may have been overlooked in the
stampede towards CF construction of airliners.   There are a lot of
minimum-wage boneheads driving catering trucks and whatnot that routinely bump into the
airplanes they are servicing, causing localized damage.   Such airplanes
are immediately withdrawn from service and undergo an inspection, and then
often a localized patch is applied and the airplane is ready to go again in
just a few hours.   It's not uncommon to see airplanes with multiple such
patches on the skin; eventually they will go for a heavy maintenance (akin to a
ground-up restoration in automotive circles) and then the offending panels
are removed and replaced with new ones.

This begs the question--how does a CF airplane respond when a bozo crashes
into it with a catering truck?   CF doesn't 'ding' as far as I know.   Can
localized repairs be made?

F-1 cars may prove reassuring in this regard.   Recall that at this year's
Montreal GP, Lewis Hamilton comprehensively smashed his car on the first
day's practice, hitting the wall hard, pieces and parts flying everywhere etc.
 The whole side of the car was demolished; however the team was able to
drag the wreck back to the garage and rebuild it overnight; he went on to win
the race.   So that gives some cause for optimism perhaps?