[DeTomaso] FW: NPC Probably not new to you aeroheads but wow-

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Wed Jun 17 14:33:32 EDT 2015

Much of the composite aircraft technology (and other advanced technology)
came directly from the experimental kit plane builders. Since it was
experimental, they were allowed to forgo the near impossible  process of
certification by the FAA.

Bill Lear created the "Lear Fan" with much being composite. It was
obsolete before testing was complete by the general nature of technology
growth.

Many of the same engineers then helped Beechcraft develop the Starship
with much composite construction. Again the technology was a not quite
where it needed to be. Beechcraft built 53 and eventually bought almost
all of them so would not have to support only 50 or so aircraft.

These engineers often go from company to company and project to project.
All of this laid the path for commercial aircraft to certify composite
aircraft.

Raytheon developed the Premier with a composite fuselage. They dropped a
couple stories off a building in test and it bounced. The strength of this
had a lot to do with how Jack Roush and his wife walked away after he
crashed his at Oshkosh:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack+Roush++crash&biw=1600&bih=736&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bbqBVbGPOsXjoAS5yanACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

The premier had high hopes and they did sell a lot more then the Starship
but due to changes after development and certification the additional
weight compromised fuel and range and has not been that great of a jet.

But this was all the launching pad for much composite development in the
civilian market.

Ironically one of the problem with composites is repair. When you run
something like carbon fiber in a solid line from wing tip to wing tip, if
you punch it with an ice pick you have compromised the strength of the
entire string.

Gary