[DeTomaso] 3D Printing

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Mon Jun 15 13:59:12 EDT 2015

I started with FreeCad. In fact the mirror base is made using FreeCad.
There is a lot of basic stuff you can do with it. I did go back to Corel
2d to calculate some dimensions.

Latter I bought CorelCad which was over $600. It's not quite Solidworks
but a bit more usable then FreeCad.

There are a lot of free cad or modeling programs. FreeCad is better with
mechanical things but some of them are more like sculpting software then
Cad software.

I am working with a group in town doing presentations on circuit building
and 3D printing. We actually did a demo at one of the public libraries and
they were talking about getting one.

Since I got mine, it seems to be running all the time. It has a heated bed
and will print with a variety of plastics.

I use it for so many things. Prototyping as example the encoders I make,
simple fixes for everything from the lawnmower to a bracket on something,
to real parts, I just always seem to have something I need to draw.

Have you seen the guys print then make aluminum parts using the lost PVA?
They put the plastic printed part in the sand then melt it out to make
castings.

Gary