[DeTomaso] Gauge Corrector

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 20:35:01 EDT 2015

Our Pantera gas tanks differ from most gas tanks in their very odd shape. Because of all the angles and changing dimensions, the half-filled mark is not the vertical center of the tank. This is not true for most gas tanks, that are generally rectangular in shape.

The gauge corrector Thomas designed had 16 value points, so if you started with an empty tank, you could set the empty value, and as you added measured amounts of fuel, you could use those 15 remaining value points to truly match the gauge hash marks to correctly reflect gallons remaining.

The two versions Gary linked will do the job for most gas tanks, but……… not so accurately with a Pantera tank.

The Speedway version has a custom option, but only allows two value settings, one at full and one at empty. Thus it is inaccurate through the entire gauge range unless you just left the filling station or just ran out of gas. ;-)

The Technoversion offers four set points, which is better than two but quite clearly not as good as 16.

Thus, with either of those offerings you’re basically not correctly informed of the fuel level unless the gas tank is full or empty. So both those gauge correctors still leave you with an inaccurate gauge reading. Which is what the corrector was supposed to fix.

Sigh……..

The point I'm making is the unit designed by a Pantera owner is the only one that will (if you invest the proper time for calibration) work accurately in our Panteras.

I second Garth’s suggestion that Jon Haas adopt Thomas’ orphan and add it to his already spectacular offerings.

Knowing Jon’s skill set, he could probably improve the design to incorporate pre-loaded calibration options for some of the standard gauges used in upgrades, while still retaining the custom 16-point calibration option for one-off situations. I imagine a simple set-the-dip-switches Plug-n-Play unit would be well received.

Such a corrector would also have wide application in the rest of the hobby car market, wouldn’t it?

Larry