[DeTomaso] ZF differential housing bolts

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 11 17:24:05 EDT 2015

Cory, I used a supplemental torque-applier when I tore down a couple of ZF diffs. First I used a brand new 'Unbrako' metric allen driver in a socket wrench, and also clamped a Vise-Grip pliers to the outside of exposed allen head. Carefully using both tools, the OEM allens gave up easily on a '72-1/2 and a late '73. You'll be replacing those bolts anyway- who cares if the heads get scarred up! THere may be a few allens holding the diff case to the tranny case that need this treatment, too. Full-height-head metric allens are readily available.

Good luck- J Deryke, who always goes for the simplest solutions