[DeTomaso] ZF differential housing bolts

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Thu Jun 11 11:30:17 EDT 2015

<< Drill off the head>>

It's been a lifelong ambition of mine.

Larry (still trying) - Cleveland

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com] On Behalf Of John Taphorn
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:00 AM
To: coreyjprice at gmail.com; De Tomaso List
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] ZF differential housing bolts

Yes Corey, many times

Drill off the head.

JT

On 6/10/2015 10:25 PM, coreyjprice at gmail.com wrote:
> I have torn down a ZF before but the one I'm currently working on is being
stubborn. In order to remove the differential, you must follow one of two
methods:

> 1.  Using a special tool, remove the carrier bearings on the sides of the
differential. With the carrier bearings removed, the differential comes out
cleanly.
> 2.  Remove eight bolts on the differential thru the side cover opening,
remove the diff side cover and then remove the rest of the differential.

> Since I don't have the special tool, I have to use method 2. I've done it
before with good success. Unfortunately the OEM bolts are short crappy
strip-easy socket bolts. I'm not doing well on all but one bolt on this ZF.
Anyone done this before that can offer suggestions?