[DeTomaso] ZF differential housing bolts

coreyjprice at gmail.com coreyjprice at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:25:11 EDT 2015

I have torn down a ZF before but the one I'm currently working on is being stubborn. In order to remove the differential, you must follow one of two methods:

1.  Using a special tool, remove the carrier bearings on the sides of the differential. With the carrier bearings removed, the differential comes out cleanly.
2.  Remove eight bolts on the differential thru the side cover opening, remove the diff side cover and then remove the rest of the differential.

Since I don't have the special tool, I have to use method 2. I've done it before with good success. Unfortunately the OEM bolts are short crappy strip-easy socket bolts. I'm not doing well on all but one bolt on this ZF. Anyone done this before that can offer suggestions?

Corey