[DeTomaso] Refinish front trunk advice

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Sat Jun 6 16:15:28 EDT 2015

When I got the car 5 years back, it had no brakes due to the stock
proportioning valve spewing brake fluid everywhere. While it is relatively
important to be able to stop a car, it was not the first priority being
that the car did not run and had not for years, hence I did not need brakes
yet. After I got the car functioning as it should, I ripped the front trunk
carpet and was surprised to see all the paint had been eaten by the brake
fluid but luckily, no rust.  It was cleaned and primed, but needs to be
stripped and painted correctly. There is still carpet around the plate
against the firewall where the master cylinders are mounted.

Question still exists.  Can I undo the nuts in the trunk and remove the
master brake and clutch or do I need to detach anything under the dash?