[DeTomaso] hood fitment between years?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 20:27:06 EDT 2015

In a message dated 6/5/15 9 24 5, rlbpantera at earthlink.net writes:

> I bought the hood new in the box from Wilkinson. Seems doubtful he would
> sell me a GT5 hood.
>
>>>New in WHAT box?   Ford box?   Or De Tomaso box?   If it wasn't in a
Ford box, likely it was a GT5 hood.   That's what the factory had on offer back
then.   (Last year, Wilkinson was roaming around with Santiago and found an
unopened crate that had 25 brand new Ford-era hoods in it that nobody knew
they had in the warehouse!)

> >Also I'd previously tried one of his "carbon fiber" hoods and it didn't
> fit.
>
>>>Depending on the source, they often don't.

> >The problem with both of them was the same: the curvature was different
> than the fenders and peaked 1/4" above them about a foot from the nose.
> Seems very unlikely a carbon hood mold would have been made for the GT5. Also
> I thought I'd heard that stampings didn't come along until after Ford had
> bought De Tomaso.
>
>>>The parts of the cars were stamped; the method of construction changed
slightly as the assembly line ramped up, but they were all built of the same
bits.

I've seen atrocious fit/fitment issues with several different
vendor-sourced lightweight hoods and decklids.

I've also seen used front hoods that didn't fit properly because they were
bent while in storage.   In fact, I've seen people bend their own hoods by
overpacking their front trunks and creating the type of bowed effect you are
speaking of.   It's easy to bend them out of shape, and not that much harder
to bend them back INTO shape.   I watched Johnny Woods fix one with his
bare hands and a pair of 2x4 blocks in about 15 minutes once.

When trying to sort out this kind of thing, the best thing to do is consult
the Ford parts book.   Ford was very meticulous about documenting running
changes where parts were different between early and late cars (bumpers,
windshield trim etc.).   The Ford parts book lists ONE part number for a Pantera
front hood, from start to finish.

(They list three different styles for the rear decklid, before #1285, #1285
to #2638, and after #2638.   The first style used the latching mechanism
with the handle in the driver's doorjamb, second style used a 'normal'
pushbutton trunk lock and flat decklid, and third style is the common one with a
raised rib in the center).

Cullen--as long as the hood in question hasn't been unduly abused, it
should fit reasonably well.   (Other's comments about hand-finishing with lead
etc. are valid, I think, and there may be some minor tweaking necessary along
those lines).