[DeTomaso] Earliest known Pantera

marshall smith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 27 15:18:04 EDT 2015

Great....I'm relieved.
On Mon, 7/27/15, Michael Shortt <michaelsavga at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Earliest known Pantera
 To: "marshall smith" <marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net>
 Cc: detomaso at poca.com, MikeLDrew at aol.com, edducati at mac.com
 Date: Monday, July 27, 2015, 11:58 AM

 There was no
 1000
 On Jul 27, 2015 2:47 PM,
 "marshall smith" <marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net>
 wrote:
 If the
 first Pantera was #1000, car #1500 would be the 501st
 car.

 On Fri, 7/24/15, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com>

  To: edducati at mac.com,
 michaelsavga at gmail.com

  Cc: detomaso at poca.com

  Date: Friday, July 24, 2015, 5:51 PM

     In a message dated

  7/23/15 17 58 3, edducati at mac.com

  writes:

          I called Wilkinson, they know of

  1001, but do not have it.

     >>>He told me it's owned by the

  widow of Ing Bertocci, and he has made

     arrangements to buy it (years ago) but the

  deal hasn't been

     consummated.

       >   He also said

  the crashed cars never had serial numbers, good to

       know.

     >>>But not true.  The DOT

  certification testing, including crash

     testing, was performed by an independent

  company, Ogden Technology

     Laboratories, Inc, in Fullerton CA, from

  September through December

     1970 (the crash testing may have happened

  later than that?).  The cars

     used were:

     1005 (red)

     1006 (yellow)

     1010 (black)

     1011 (green)

     1005 was crash-tested, and failed

  miserably.  Here's the video of that

     test:

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaobPuwXZbU

     Now, it's possible that some cars were

  crashed in Europe and they had

     no serial numbers, but I tend to doubt the

  likelihood of that.  For

     years, a car that was crashed in Europe

  and passed the test was kept

     rattling around in the Vignale factory;

  there are numerous photos of it

     in books, in a light color (yellow or

  white) and covered with black

     grid markings, with the front end all

  caved in.  But the cabin is in

     much better shape than 1005 above.

       >>   So

  theoretically,A  if you have #1500, it is the 500th

  Pantera.

       >   So mine #1660

  is the 660th car built ( June 71 ).

     >>>True dat.

       >>   He also

  confirmed that the first rectangular door handle was

       #1286,

       >   thus 1001

  thru #1285 were pushbuttons ( subject to Italian build

       order

       >   as we all

  know ).

     >>>Totally false.  The first

  US import Pantera was #1286, and it was a

     pushbutton.  For years it was said

  that the first 75 cars imported to

     the USA were pushbuttons, and that may

  well be true, but there are

     plenty of pushbuttons with numbers higher

  than (1286 + 75, = 1361).

     Either this is because some pushbutton

  cars in this range were sold in

     Europe, or if 100% of Pantera production

  at this time was coming to the

     USA, then the number is greater than

  75.  The highest known pushbutton

     is #1383, and the earliest known square

  doorhandle car is #1387.  So

     the changeover happened somewhere in

  there....

     Mike

     P.S.  Although there is no longer a

  business called Ogden Labs, on a

     whim I just called the phone number listed

  for them in the original

     testing report.  To my amazement, a

  woman answered and told me that

     they were still in the same location,

  still doing DOT-type testing, but

     the business had a different name.

  What's more, the woman speaking to

     me had been working there back when the

  Panteras were tested!  She had

     some fun stories to tell.  Apparently

  they LOVED it when the Pantera

     contract came to them, as they would take

  the cars out on the road to

     go to lunch etc. and they turned a LOT of

  heads.

     Unfortunately, they no longer have any of

  the records from those

     days--it all went to the landfill years

  ago.  I'm glad I have what I

     have, although it's very incomplete.