[DeTomaso] Earliest known Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 23:06:16 EDT 2015

In a message dated 7/25/15 17 40 16, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> I wonder what they changed from time of this test to shipping later cars?
>

>>>Well, they changed an awful lot of things.   But arguably the most
important change was to install a significant brace between the top of the center
structure and the back side of the front 'firewall'.

Photo attached.

You can see that this piece is added on; it is spot-welded to the center
tunnel, the back of the 'firewall', and the underside of the cowl.   It
significantly strengthens the front of the car.

Panteras were already rolling off the assembly line when this was
incorporated into the design.   While all US Panteras got them, De Tomaso didn't feel
any strong compulsion to bring the Euro cars up to safe standards, so all
the pre-US cars were sold without it.   I have sourced a couple of them from
wrecked chassis to be added to Euro cars that were undergoing restoration,
including Stephane Bergeron's #1256 and Kristian Poulsen's #1267.

We have all heard about the fact that early US Panteras were all recalled
for major chassis upgrades; I don't know if this was part of that upgrade, or
if it was included in all the US-market cars.   I would have to assume that
no cars would be sold here that didn't meet crash standards so it's
probable that they all had them when the rolled off the boat, and that the recall
dealt with less significant issues like the suspension falling off etc.   :>)