[DeTomaso] [Detomaso]Michelin TB5 or TB15 tires

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 19:02:51 EDT 2015

I have the TB15 tires on my flared car and love them.They are very soft.In fact they are softer than my Hoosier R25b compound slicks!

Reviews from other web sites like Pelican parts(a Porsche site)Has been very positive for the TB15.Not much review for the TB5 though,good or bad.

The TB15 is a light wet and dry tire,and the TB5 is a dry only tire.The TB5 replaces the older SB.No replacement or reissue yet of the PB tire.

Here is a brief ad blurb from Michelin,

Michelin’s legendary TB15 intermediate tarmac rally tyre has been reintroduced. Offering astounding levels of grip whilst also now being road legal!

In the 70’s and 80’s the original range included the SB (slick for dry roads), TB (intermediate for dry and damp roads) and PB (rain for wet roads). The 2004 TB15 features the same design as the original and an equivalent tread compound providing even better grip.

Cars fitted with these tyres in the 70’s and 80’s included: Porsche 911 Gr4/GrB and RSR, Ferrari 308 Gr4, Ferrari BB512, Lancia Stratos Gr4, Alpine A310 Gr4/5, Alpine A110 Gr3/4, Renault 5 Turbo GrB, Renault 5 Alpine Gr2, Opel Ascona 400 Gr4, Opel Manta 400 GrB, Opel Kadett GTE Gr1/2, Fiat 131 Abarth Gr4, Audi Quattro GrB, Toyota Supra GrA, Toyota Celica GrB, Ford Escort RS Gr1/2, BMW 2002 Gr1/2, VW Golf GTI Gr1/2, Peugeot 104
ZS Gr2, Simca R2 Gr2, Renault 8 Gordini Gr2 and Sunbeam Lotus Gr2.

Arjun,have you used the the TB15,or only the TB5?I have not used my TB15's in any wet yet as i am in California which is experiencing a drought.Plus i try not to drive the car in the rain,but i have been caught in a storm before.

I have not had any unusually fast wear,but i expect this tire to wear rapidly due to the soft compound,whereas the TB5 F & R are a harder compound and will have a longer lifespan,but cannot be used in any wet as they are a slick except for the middle portion which is treaded.

Richard