[DeTomaso] Fwd: Happy birthday

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:52:16 EDT 2015

Happy Birthday Tom!  Thank you for designing one bad-ass car.  What a
thrill it is to roar and prowl around this world in this classic beast
that causes so much delight everywhere it goes. (Shall we not tell him
that someone has caused quite a ruckus in the Pantera community by
painting a handlebar mustache on his "Mona Lisa"? Nothing against
handlebar mustaches....indeed they are quite dashing, as is the
GT40....but putting one under the nose of a well-known masterpiece is,
well....at the least....playing with fire!)
 Sent using Hushmail
On July 23, 2015 at 4:06 AM, "JEFFREY COBB"  wrote:Hello group,
    I was worried/bothered when I read about Tom Tjaarda maybe being
dead in your mails.
HE IS ALIVE.
So I emailed him at 3:00 am NYC time and he answered at 4:42 pm
Italian time.
He is younger than I thought and seems happy and full of suggestions
as usual.
He is doing well.
Jeff Cobb

> From: "tjaarda at astranet.it"
> Date: July 23, 2015 4:42:07 AM EDT
> To: JEFFREY COBB
> Subject: Re: Happy birthday
>
>    Dear Jeff,
>
>    Thank you very much for the birthday wishes  -  but lets not rush
things  -  I am "only" 81 today  -

>    Sorry that I can not make it to Monteray this year.  You would be
suprised the cost for the four days in Carmel - airfair -car  - hotel
etc. it is just not worth it.

>    Take ie easy for awhile -  to recover from chemotherapy takes
time  -  the best way I would think is to take a cruse with Libby -
your are obliged to  be stress free and happy.

>    Thanks again and have a nice summer to you both
>
>   Tom
>

>      Il 23/07/2015 06:54, JEFFREY COBB ha sricpto

>>    Hello Tom,
     I hope you are well on your 84th birthday.
 Many special years and designs have flowed under your feet and hands.
I am at Memorial Sloan in NYC recovering from my second surgery done
yesterday.
>> Cancer has showed to be gone since April, now I just deal with
outliving the chemotherapy cure,
>>     Libby and I did very well at both Detroit events;  EyesOnDesign
at Edsel Fords Estate last month and the Mercury/Lincoln in house show
at Dearborns design center last Friday. Car blew people away. Nearly
all viewers at both shows we're engineers, designers and
management.Sorry to miss you this year. My Mangusta was chosen as a
special car this year at Concorso. We will have fun for a week driving
it around.
>> Here is art of their web news letter.
>>
>> Concorso News
>>
>> Recent Posts
>>
>> GLOBAL EXOTIC FEATURED DISPLAY
>> 250 GTE REUNION
>> DR. DON PANOZ TO RECEIVE THE LA BELLA MACCHINA AWARD AT CONCORSO
ITALIANO
>> SPECIAL MANGUSTA TO BE FEATURED AT CONCORSO
>>
>> Special Mangusta to be Featured at Concorso
>> 07.07.2015
>>

>> Concorso Italiano is pleased to announce that a one-off Mangusta
built as a “vanity” project for a Ford styling chief will be on
display at this year’s event, August 16th.

>> This can be considered a controversial car.  Back in the sixties,
Eugene Bordinat, the then Director of styling at Ford, had to have
some individually customized car to drive around town. Was this
because Bill Mitchell, GM’s flamboyant VP of Styling, had a whole
fleet of customized cars from the Mako Shark to a Scarab F1 car fitted
out for commuting?   Who knows, but Bordinat showed that Mitchell
wasn’t the only auto executive in town with enough clout to order up
his own special.

>> The Mangusta was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro for Ghia. It made
its world premiere at the 1966 Turin Auto Salon.  It was regarded as a
new frontier in one box design where the car was one smooth line from
the windshield to the rear bumper. It followed Ford’s GT40 mid-ships
engine layout, and even used a GT40-style ZF gearbox. The car was only
42 inches high.

>> Bordinat had his own Mangusta customized with a special “soft
nose” and, if it wasn’t for doubts within Ford that it could be
built in quantity, it would probably have been imported by Ford.  The
Pantera they chose instead might have been totally unnecessary.

>>   With you in the car in 2005 when I first saw the car and spent
months trying to buy it.

>> Well Tom, sorry you cannot make it. I do not have the same energy
and money I did when I did your cool party in 2011, otherwise I would
do it again!!

>> Take care Tom and I will live a long time. To hell with cancer, a
strong foe has and will be beat.