[DeTomaso] Pantera Air Cleaner

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 23:38:19 EDT 2015

In a message dated 7/21/15 17 47 17, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> http://www.carid.com/knn/xstream-air-cleaner-assembly-3-1-8-height-mpn-66-3050.html?gclid=CJbG_rfB7cYCFZYWHwodBE8JuQ
>

>>>Somebody (I think it was here?) posted a link to objective testing which
revealed that the pleated air cleaner lid actually reduced horsepower when
compared with the same filter and a solid lid, which sounds
counterintuitive.   Apparently the airflow is disrupted somehow with the pleated lid?

A quick Google search found some oblique references.   From a Hot Rod
magazine article:

Also interesting is that Westech's Steve Brule mentioned that on previous
dyno tests with the XStream Air Flow Top that it seems to work best when
combined with flat-base air cleaner assemblies. Conversely, he has seen a slight
power loss when the same lid is combined with drop-base air filter
assemblies. We did not test a drop-base air filter assembly to verify this point.

>From a drag race forum:

Edelbrock Drop base, with k&n filter and lid 400 SBC with Edelbrock AVS
800. Filter top is approx 1-3/8 above choke top.

K&N 14x3 with chrome top: 12.157 @ 111.92 60ft 1.777
Same filter with Xtreme top: 12.301 @ 111.46 60ft 1.850
back to chrome top: 12.159 @ 112.03 60ft 1.805

I logged the runs with my LM2. I did notice that the mixture richened up
about .3 with the xtreme top, which tells me that I was actually hurting air
into the carb. The lid also caused a hard bog off the line, which you can see
in the 60 ft time and ET. No stumbles with standard top.

And so on and so forth.   I can't find the link to the article/test that
I'm thinking of though.   I do remember it was very illustrative and
definitive--and surprising to me.