[DeTomaso] Commingle 10x15 taking orders in September!!!

Ed Mendez edducati at mac.com
Sat Jul 18 00:33:26 EDT 2015

I believe magnesium strength is in its surface and when it starts to corrode it looses its safety margin. From my own experience racing motorcycles and using magnesium wheels, I would never use magnesium rims older than 15 years for racing. Why do you think Patrick Hals uses new Marvic Gr4 wheels on his race car? The surface material after years of humidity will start corroding because the magnesium is "living”. Even well painted wheels after 3 to 5 years; the paint starts flaking off.

If I were going to spend $3000 - $4000 for a set of two 40 year old magnesium 10x15 wheels, I would damn sure have them X-rayed or ZYGLO them first, and then have them recoated just to make sure you protect the surface. Then yeah they should be fine.

I tried to find a a used set myself, kind of difficult so for me personally I am going to buy new for $3000, and call it a day.

My opinion. Anyone want to back me up? :-) lol

Ed