[DeTomaso] Nose Job on ebay Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 01:22:35 EDT 2015

In a message dated 7/14/15 14 36 9, guson at home.se writes:

> Besides the spoiler there seems to be some kind of added rim to the whole
> front end.
>

>>>It's a one-piece affair that is U-shaped and wraps around the sides of
the car, going up to the beltline.   I can't remember if that's the Peter
Revson or the Mind Train unit, but it was available in the 1970s and early
1980s.   I think Jack DeRyke's Pantera has the same one?

BTW, I was helping Fred Phillips who was considering buying this car some
time ago, but he passed due to the numerous unknowns.   For starters,
although it had a Georgia plate, in fact it's a New York car.   The owner admitted
that he never bothered to register the car in New York, but it's spent much
of its life there, up in the salt.   Too, being a Georgia car, it has no
title, which makes registration problematic for an outside-the-USA buyer.

But the real show-stopper was the appearance of rust.   The seller is very
glib about the condition of the car, insisting that he 'knows cars' because
he has had a lot of them, and he knows that this car is rust-free, other
than a few minor, insignificant spots, including the rockers which are pictured
in the auction.

We both came to the conclusion that he is either disingenuous or
delusional.   Where there's smoke, there's fire, and it's quite likely that this car
has extensive corrosion; we got to see very poor-quality, low-res photos of
the underside and there was plenty of evidence to that effect.

I think the car is worth saving, but it should be approached as the
foundation for a quality restoration, rather than as a turn-key, quality car, which
is how it is being marketed.   I hope it will find a good home with a
deep-pockets owner who will spare no expense returning it to its former glory!