[DeTomaso] Cracked Dash

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:58:59 EDT 2015

A while back someone mentioned wanting to repair the cracks in his dash.

I replied that I had seen that you can glue it back together with acetone.
The acetone melts the plastic, and then the acetone evaporates and the
plastic hardens.

Well, I tried it today, and it works.

My dash is out of my car, and it has a few small cracks.  One was cracked
all the way through, and it made the dash rather flimsy.

So, I bought some acetone and some modelers brushes, and I globbed it all
over the crack.  This is different from superglue where you only want a
little.  I wanted to get plenty so that it would melt the plastic.  Then I
leaned it against the wall so that the weight of the dash closed the crack.

A few hours later, I checked it.  It is nice and tight, just like super
glue.

I guess I could have used superglue, but I wanted to see if this would work.
I¹m going to put some JB weld on the back to strengthen the crack.  I¹ve
also heard you can melt ABS plastic, like Legos and use as a filler.  I
might try that instead of JB weld.

Okay, so that¹s not as cool as a killer camshaft or a tunnel ram, but it¹s
still pretty cool.