[DeTomaso] NPC: Dan Neil on 1964 Jaguar LWE continuation model and modern supercars.

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Jul 11 13:51:15 EDT 2015

Dear Forum,

              Another excerpt from Dan Neil's column in the Wall Street
Journal from Saturday, July 11.   This week's topic is the "continuation
model" from Jaguar Heritage of the 1964 Jaguar Lightweight E-type racer made
brand new with mostly old parts to the specs of the 1964 racer (price one
million British pounds).

           "The LWE starts with the E-Type's concupiscent silhouette (a term
applicable to the Pantera.), the four wheeled torpedo designed by
aerodynamicist Malcolm Sayer as an evolutions of the LeMans-winning D-Type.
Enzo Ferrari famously called the E-Type the most beautiful car in the world,
and the charge still sticks."

           "For anyone accustomed to the gleaming infallibility of modern
performance cars, the LWE will feel as raw as a crop duster.  You turn the
key, flip on the fuel pump, put on some choke and press the Start button.
The engine saws without fire for a second then lights with a blatty harrumph
( my note: the Pantera starts with a basso ka-whump!), before settling into
a steady, lean idle as you push in the choke."

          With its lightweight flywheel and short-uptake clutch, the LWE
needs care, and plenty of revs, to move off smoothly. As I round a 90-degree
turn at Circuito de Navarra, ahead of the main straight in second gear, I
reach for power.  It's like pushing up the throttles behind the blasting,
blaring prop of a vintage warbird.

             The LWE is nothing less than an indictment of modern supercars
and their diminishing returns of driving pleasure.  The new Ferrari 488 GTB,
for example, is startlingly quick and absurdly easy to drive around the
Fiorano Circuit.  Losing control of the car seems almost unthinkable.  But
soon habituation takes over, lap times level out, and you are pretty much
hanging out at the limits of the car.

            The LWE is an entirely different affair and more challenging.
There's no electronic safety net to keep you from looping the car under
power or flat-spotting the front tires by locking the brakes.  You rely on
your own resources as a driver, such as they are.  It's a hell of a lot of
fun.  Life-affirming , even."

             I must say that I do like Dan Neil's opinions and commentary.

                          Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles