[DeTomaso] Update 10x15 Campagnolo Pantera GTS wheels

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 16:55:36 EDT 2015

In a message dated 7/9/15 12 40 48, detomaso at poca.com writes:

But the text is not where I'm used to seeing it.

>>>That's because you don't see a lot of first-generation long-rib 10-inch
wheels.  Remember, Marvic has two original wheels (one first-generation, one
second-generation) and they are copying them perfectly, using modern
production techniques such as 3D scanning to reverse-engineer them.   The new
wheels will likely be indistinguishable from the originals.

These markings are correct for these particular wheels.   See the attached
photo of a wheel I photographed at the POCA Fun Rally some years ago.

Then Jeff wrote:

I commend Marvic for spending the money to develop and produce these
wheels. However as many owners have discovered there are virtually no tires
manufactured that will work with these rims. My question is why manufacture wheels
that have no availability of compatible tires ?
Now if Pirelli decided to make P-7s in 15" again THAT would get me excited.

>>>Well, remember that there have always been 'virtually no tires'
manufactured to fit these wheels.   Interestingly, there is a fairly healthy array
of choices for the rear wheels in 295/50; the difficult thing now has been
getting 225/50 tires for the front!

I was fortunate enough to buy Toyos for my car (in storage at the moment)
when the supply started drying up on them.   You might be able to find them
today, but if not, I would suggest going with Maxxis.

Maxxis?

Yes, Maxxis.   It's a Chinese company that is little-known in the USA, but
well-known in Europe and elsewhere.   They have manufacturing plants all
over the world; their US-market tires are made in the USA.   Significantly,
they are one of the few companies that offers tires in both relevant sizes:

http://tinyurl.com/Maxxis225-50-15

http://tinyurl.com/Maxxis295-50-15

(You're welcome Larrry…)

The front tire is V-rated while the rear is H-rated.   I cornered a Maxxis
rep at the SEMA show a few years ago and asked him why the rears are not
also V-rated; this exact same tire is sold in Germany with a V-rating.

He explained that there is only a single design that is made in plants
around the world.   The U.S. Government has high testing standards for a
V-rating and it would add considerable expense to the production cost to get them
certified.   They made a business decision to forgo that cost, feeling
rightly that most US consumers wouldn't care about the higher speed rating and
might not be willing to pay extra for it.   However, the Germans like their
speed, so it was felt necessary to submit the tire to the TUV for
V-certification.   But he insisted there are no changes to the tire itself, other than
the specific markings on the sidewall.

I drove a car in France equipped with these tires (sourced from Germany),
and they felt just fine to me (arguably better than my antique BFG Euro T/A
305/50 and 245/50 tires on my own car).

Ed then wrote:

Chip Foose is having Perrelli make them I've been trying to get a hold of
him to see if you could buy several sets so they do have the molds.

>>>If that's true, that would be great news.   Pirelli does have a classic
P7 Corsa range that offers 285/40, which is suitable for the front of the
widebody cars but far too short for the rear of a standard Pantera:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/car/sheet-motorsport/p7_corsa_classic.html

>There are tires available as well that have the H rating if Mike Drew
could please chime in I know he knows what brands they are. Sorry Mike I lost
your email.

>>>No problem, see above. :>)

Mark then wrote:

It would be ideal if someone could connect with somebody high up at BFG or
Toyo since they have only recently stopped making the correct sizes and
surely THEIR moulds and construction would meet current standards.

>>>Agreed, except that BFG is still making the 295/50.   What they've
discontinued is the 225/50, and it's possible that it is just a short-term issue.
  BFG often lets specific sizes go out of production and then brings them
back the following year.