[DeTomaso] Adding sucker fans

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 15:12:02 EDT 2015

My radiator input and output tubes take a 90 degree upon leaving the radiator and extend towards
the middle. The tubes would be in the way of a fan mounted on the back. I've never heard anybody
mention this issue.

Laying forward will require new  mounts be welded in reverse configuration, but do I just cut the
elbows on the back of the radiator to remove the 90 degree turn? How do you add a flair to secure
the hose?

 Most aftermarket radiators usually have straight stub hose connections, which can take a 2" long piece of straight rad hose connected to a 90 degree fitting. This gives enough space for a flat sucker fan  to lay against the core with the connecting hose behind it. I use big brass 80 degree sweat-solder fittings for both hose connections= no corrosion. Pantera-specific aftermarket rads have welded extended stubs with 90 degrees permanently attached. To use a stock-type rad, yes- cut the 90 degree connections. Adding a bead usually requires a bead machine although some guys laboriously solder a wire or something on cut stubs to make their own "bead". In 20+ years of NOT using beaded connections, I've not had a hose blow off. Good luck- J DeRyke