[DeTomaso] Adding sucker fans

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 13:33:57 EDT 2015

In a message dated 7/5/15 9 15 10, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> Well, one project always leads to another......
>
>>>As they often do....
>
> >Last weekend I wet blasted the front 1/3rd and trunk of 1488. With the
> surface painted with self-etching primer and hood off, I am going to pull
> the radiator and replace the coolant pipes.
>
>>>Sounds good.

> >While I have the radiator out,
> I plan to tilt the radiator all the way down and add sucker fans.

I know that laying the radiator forward was a popular fad some years ago.
It does offer some advantages, including the ability to mount an A/C
condensor on the front side of the radiator.   But otherwise, there is zero
practical improvement in the car's cooling system merely by laying the radiator
down and fitting sucker fans.   If you are starting from scratch, with no
components in your hands, there's nothing inherently wrong with purchasing a
lay-down radiator system.   But if you already have a good stand-up radiator
system (that is, good radiator/good fans), then altering it is merely an
exercise in work for work's sake, and spending money unnecessarily.

So, again, what is it that is motivating you to do this to yourself?

> >My radiator input and output tubes take a 90 degree upon leaving the
> radiator and extend towards the middle. The tubes would be in the way of a
> fan mounted on the back.
>
>>>Yup.

> > I've never heard anybody mention this issue.
>
>>>That's because nobody (well, I know one guy) ever lays down an existing
stand-up radiator.

> >Laying forward will require new mounts be welded in reverse
> configuration,
>
>>>Nope.   Even the lay-down radiators that you buy from the vendors have
their top mounts set up for the standard stand-up configuration.   They lay
them down by using thin stainless steel straps that bolt to the body mount,
extend forward alongside the radiator, and then bolt to the standard radiator
mount.

> >but do I just cut the elbows on the back of the radiator to remove the
> 90
> degree turn?
>
>>>You, or somebody, yes.

> >How do you add a flair to secure the hose?
>
>>>You mean a bead, not a flare.   A radiator shop can probably do that for
you; failing that, you used to be able to buy a tube beading tool from
Harbor Freight, but they don't list it anymore.

Eastwood sells one that costs as much as a new radiator:

http://www.eastwood.com/bead-former-for-metal-tubing-5-8in-2in.html

But there are some DIY videos on Youtube that show you how you can build
your own beading tool.   Like this one:

https://youtu.be/JVDUM2ZxoW0

Clever!

But again, I question why this line of questioning even exists?   FWIW,
there is a Pantera in my garage right now that came in for some fettling, on
its way to a new owner (a deal may have been reached, but if not, I'll be
notifying everybody about it as there are always prospective buyers lurking
here).   It came here equipped with a Fluidyne radiator, laid down, with sucker
fans.   Marcus Smith and I had to do a lot of work to it, as it wasn't
mounted properly (the pins at the bottom of the radiator missed the rubber
grommets entirely and were just sitting on the chassis crossmember, making it a
solid mount!?) and the fans were wired up very badly, with no traditional
thermoswitches and an adjustable thermoswitch instead.

We got the electrical sorted out easily enough (by the way, most people
don't know that Fluidyne radiators use standard VW/Audi screw-in temp sensors,
available cheap at any parts store), got the bottom of the radiator mounted
correctly in the stock mounts, and then had to fabricate new upper mounting
straps.   This because the old straps were too long when the bottom was
moved, and the front of the radiator hit the stock fan mounting brackets on the
body.

The attached photo shows one of the new mounts.   The radiator *just* fits
now.

Really, if you are insistent upon laying the radiator down, the best thing
to do is buy a mount kit from one of the vendors, such as this:

http://precisionproformance.com/cs1037.php

The straps at the top of the photo are self-explanatory, and the fact that
they have a couple of bends in them makes for better fitment versus the
home-brew version showed in the photo.   But the real key is the bottom piece.
In practice, the rubber grommet is removed from the stock bottom mount,
this guy is then bolted in place where the grommet used to be, and the grommet
is then installed in the large hole in the new piece.   This has the effect
of moving the bottom of the radiator up and rearwards, which in turn gets
the middle of the radiator away from the stock fan mounting locations, and
makes for a much cleaner, better installation.

The body opening narrows as it moves forward, and there is precious little
room for the top of the radiator to exist when it's just tilted forward and
left in the stock bottom mounts.   Although I've taken pains to use the
stock upper rubber mounts (which were missing when the car arrived here), I'm
not entirely convinced that this current solution is optimal.   The forward
mounting bolt is just barely touching the body, and even though it's going
through a rubber mount, I'm slightly concerned that it could start putting side
loads on the radiator itself.

Given that there appears to be room for the sucker fans to peacefully exist
with the radiator in a stand-up configuration, if it was my car I would be
tempted to shorten the 90-degree rubber hoses and stand the radiator
upright.   If it is sold locally, I may yet undertake that project with the new
owner if he's so inclined.

Oh, it's worth mentioning that after the electrical system was sorted out,
the cooling system was filled and thoroughly vacuum-bled.   On a 100-degree
day, the car was then started up and tortured, revving it at 2500 rpm while
stationary for about 10 minutes.   Water temp got up to 215 degrees and then
just sat there, with no overheating.

While that is a measure of success, it's worth noting that my own Pantera,
with a 25-year-old Hall Pantera standard replacement radiator, and Hall
Pantera Merian fans, will do *exactly* the same thing.

A lot of people go through great agony to throw their whole cooling system
in the trash and fit a mega-dollar new lay down radiator with sucker fans,
then report a great improvement and use that to justify their expense.  I
would argue that their existing system (as long as it had quality components,
like my car has) would have performed just as well if it had been properly
maintained (fans spinning the right direction, air bubbles removed from the
system etc.)

So let me close by once again urging you to rethink the whole 'lay it down'
idea.   It will be a lot of work, a not-inconsequential amount of money,
and at the end of the day you will have ZERO improvement over your current
system, assuming your current components are in good shape.

And if they're not?   In that case for the sake of simplicity I'd urge you
to simply replace those components that need replacing, but leave the
general design/location alone.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out?