[DeTomaso] Brake vacuum source

Brian Dudley bd8134 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 15:23:13 EDT 2015

I have used the evsource vacuum tank, nice unit, the website seems a bit
messed up.
It is basically the vacuum tank available from many sources, i.e...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1464
They fitted a pressure gauge, fittings, one way valve and an adjustable
switch to power a vacuum pump.
I used one on my son's SAAB where the pump alone could not keep up.
Many cars have vacuum pumps for brakes, fyi.. Audi, VW or SAAB turbo's,
fyi..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A6-ALLROAD-C5-4-2-BRAKE-BOOSTER-VACUUM-PUMP-/151723706233?fits=Make%3AVolkswagen&hash=item2353700779&vxp=mtr
Some run tanks,mostly plastic, round or weird shapes.

The noisy pumps are these, similar ones made by SSBC etc...
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/69A3151A0A0.aspx

The separate tank and pump might be easier to fit.
I would seriously ask your builder to tap into your intake manifold for at
least one fitting.
A second one could be for a pcv valve, then see how bad your brakes really
are.
My engine has about 9" at idle, 15" at 2,500 rpm and I just use engine
vacuum and the brakes are good.
I did have my servo rebuilt and the correct vacuum hose, not heater hose,
so now I have an evtank and new pump sitting unused.

If your are not using engine vacuum I would think you would need a tank.

YMMV
Brian

-------------- next part --------------
   [1]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1464
   [2]http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A6-ALLROAD-C5-4-2-BRAKE-BOOSTER-VACUUM-
   PUMP-/151723706233?fits=Make%3AVolkswagen&hash=item2353700779&vxp=mtr
   Some run tanks,mostly plastic, round or weird shapes.
   The noisy pumps are these, similar ones made by SSBC etc...
   [3]http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/69A3151A0A0.aspx
   The separate tank and pump might be easier to fit.A
   I would seriously ask your builder to tap into your intake manifold for
   at least one fitting.
   A second one could be for a pcv valve, then see how bad your brakes
   really are.
   My engine has about 9" at idle, 15" at 2,500 rpm and I just use engine
   vacuum and the brakes are good.
   I did have my servo rebuilt and the correct vacuum hose, not heater
   hose, so now I have an evtank and new pump sitting unused.
   If your are not using engine vacuum I would think you would need a
   tank.A
   YMMV
   Brian