[DeTomaso] Rear Brake Vent - additional pictures

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 16:57:26 EST 2015

Indeed. Over the years, people who upgraded their Pantera's toy rear brakes used all kinds of schemes to add legal e-brakes. . People confuse 'parking brakes' with 'emergency brakes' and they are NOT the same. Line-locks are hydraulic parking brakes designed for Bobcats & front-end loaders and are NOT e-brakes. The U.S Gov't has requirements for real emergency brakes in licensed road vehicles. True 'emergency brakes 'MUST 'stop a vehicle in 517 ft on a straight, level road using only the e-brake'. And 'the vehicle must remain within the boundaries of a 12-ft-wide lane'; spinning in a tight circle while remaining on the road doesn't count. Ref  'Federal Motor Vehicle Stds #105 & #135'. Reg 571 part 393.52 in the text describes the test in excruciating detail.

E-brakes do NOT need to be cable-operated nor hand actuated, but they DO need to be totally separate from the vehicle's main brake system. I think using the same rear drum(s) or rotor(s) as on the main brakes is OK, though. Chrysler cars used to have a band-e-brake & 5th drum on the driveshaft near the rear end. As was described, Pantera owners have used Hall's adapted Z-28 rear calipers with its integral cable e-brake, go-kart cable calipers (Wilwood), early Corvette drum e-brakes (or small motorcycle drum brakes) adapted inside the hat section of rear rotors, and others. Some States have stringent yearly vehicle inspections, too. Fail that and you get no registration sticker.